- This event has passed.
Retiring Well: Developing Strategies for a Successful Transition
September 25, 2015 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
“Lawyers are not very good at retiring.”
This statement gives rise to an intriguing in-depth program studying issues related to retirement planning, normal aging, and cognitive impairment. Lawyers are practicing longer because we are living longer. Gone are the days where one could assume that death and retirement were hand in hand.
This program is designed to explore challenges being faced in all professions, the impact of cognitive impairment and of normal aging on lawyers’ competency, and to challenge lawyers to prepare for and look forward to life in retirement.
- Retiring Well – Physically, mentally and emotionally preparing for retirement.
- Protecting clients and the profession from lawyers practicing too long in terms of competency.
- Examining the signs and symptoms of cognitive decline – normal aging v. cognitive impairment.
- Positive News – Thoughts, ideas and suggestions for positively approaching retirement and for retiring well.
- Ways the legal profession can support its members in learning how to retire well.
|About the guest speaker: Join keynote speaker Meryl Comer, award-winning TV business reporter and New York Times best-selling author of Slow Dancing with a Stranger: Lost and Found in The Age of Alzheimer’s, as she shares an unvarnished account of her physician husband’s early onset battle with Alzheimer’s disease, one of today’s most pressing and least-understood global health epidemics. No one over 50 is immune from this fatal neurodegenerative disease for which there is no cure or disease modifying therapies. Ms. Comer serves as President and CEO at the Geoffrey Beene Foundation Alzheimer’s Initiative in Washington D.C. The Alzheimer’s Initiative is leading efforts to fund innovative projects that advance awareness, diagnosis and research in early stages of Alzheimer’s disease.|
- Setting the Stage: Why are we here today?
- The Alzheimer’s Epidemic: A Wake-Up Call for Our Generation Featuring Guest Speaker Meryl Comer | Sponsored by Lawyers Mutual Liability Company of North Carolina
- Understanding the ‘What’: Understanding the Physiology and Psychology of Growing Older | Substance Abuse/Mental Health
- Concentrating on the ‘Why’: What is Going on in North Carolina?
- The National Perspective: What is the ABA Seeing and Doing? | Featuring ABA President William C. Hubbard (no MCLE credit)
- Strategies for Success: How Does a Lawyer Retire?
- Regulatory Concerns in Winding Down a Practice | Ethics
- Retiring Well: Lessons Learned
What Our Clients Say !
Erik B.- Buyer
-Bankruptcy Firm Seller LPE#541
-Residential Real Estate Seller LPE#522